Go the American way with a healthy salmon burger that's delicious and nutritious!
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless salmon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Sourdough buns or shepherd's bread
- Lettuce leaves
- Mayonnaise with powdered wasabi or minced jalapeno chile stirred in
Grind salmon pieces in food processor by pulsing until it is a small chop consistency. In a bowl, mix the salmon with mayonnaise, green onions, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce and pepper. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
Form into patties and cook in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes per side, until a crispy crust forms. Serve on toasted sourdough buns with lettuce leaves and spicy mayonnaise.
Tip: Burgers should be formed into ¼ pound patties about ¾ inch thick. It is best to turn a burger only once during cooking. The salmon burger mixture should be mixed and chilled for 1-2 hours before cooking.
Reprinted from the Salmon of the Americas August newsletter http://www.salmonoftheamericas.com/